Monday, December 6, 2010

Lately



Lots has been going on these days, and I've been pretty stoked about everything.
Last year I was so ready to have an amazing winter and not let seasonal depression (I kinda hate the "SAD" acronym, it seems really belittling) get to me. Despite my best efforts my heart was broken into itty bitty pieces and I spent the entire winter feeling like I was drowning in tar.
THIS YEAR, however, I'm confident. Things are going great.
Over to the right there, you might notice some rather cute folks (Steve, Matt, Jawsh, and Ryley) hanging out with a monstrous blueberry. This is from when Mistake Makers went on "tour" to Moncton, NB. We're going places (haha)! We played at the Paramount with our friends, The Fuckin' Gummi Bears and another group that I think was called Black Tape. The Gummi Bears were fucking awesome, it's so rare that bands make me want to dance, especially at bars. I can't wait for these guys to tour and release some shit. Black Tape was all right, but their bass player was like, the epitome of the kind of person I would never want to hang out with. We spent the night at Josue's (bass player for the Gummi Bears), and as always he was a perfect host.
The next day we drove back to Halifax, and Steve and I had a really nice date night. Even though I work in a restaurant that's like, middling to high fanciness, I'm not used to going out. Also considering the fact that most of my friends/partners are unemployed dirty skids, traditional dates don't come up often.
We had Thai food and went and played chess at Paper Chase (the picture is of my king being completely fucked over. It was humiliating.).
Steve is great. This morning I accompanied him (and my room mate, Sonny) to the airport, and by now he's probably back in Edmonton. He's back home for the next 3 1/2 weeks, which is a bit of a bummer but really not that bad. There's so much happening this month that I don't really have time to miss him (that sounds like an asshole thing to say). Christmas is fucking soon, and I need to start crafting my ass off if I'm going to be anything short of a delinquent this year. I only work around 15 hours a week, so I really don't have any disposable income.
I am, however, going to be starting a new batch of homebrew this week, possibly even tonight. The idea was to have beer ready for our New Years Eve show, but I think it might be a little too late. Kelly and Ryley will both have beers ready, so that should be enough. I want to make something with maple in it, and right now I'm looking at a maple-pumpkin ale, which I think would be really nice to have around once it starts getting snowy and windy and shitty.
(Kelly & Sonny, in this year's only snow fall a couple weeks ago.)

No comments: