Tuesday, December 7, 2010

piss and comics

Someone told me once that every smell has an opposite smell that completely counters it.
They also told me that the exact opposite smell for dead bodies is cinnamon.
Anyone want to hazard a guess on what the opposite smell is for cat piss? Cause it sure as hell ain't an ill-gotten vanilla candle.

In other news, I turned the desk in my room into a functional work space. For the last couple months a totally defunct desktop computer was taking up the entire thing, so I did what any sensible person would do - I threw it into my ridiculously large closet so I can forget about it.
Now I've got a spot for my laptop that gets great internet reception, and I can hook up my computer speakers (which I found in my ridiculously large closet! who knew! maybe I did at one point, but since forgot!). This means I've spent the last few hours downloading, listening to internet radio, collaging, and trying to draw comics. I guess I'm trying to find my style or something, I don't know. I want to draw comics, but I keep getting hung up on shit like "Pupils or no pupils? Elbows or no elbows? How can I make this look less like anime and more like real life? How do I make myself look fat but not pregnant?". It's tougher than I expected. I really just want to be the next Liz Prince or Jeffery Brown, but I think I'm way too much of a perfectionist, and I'm having a hard time simplifying things.
Apparently we have a scanner now? Maybe I'll do some sketches and put them up here, y'all can tell me what you think.

3 comments:

Celeste said...

as the owner of a particularly pissy cat, i'd say the opposite of cat piss is tea trea oil, diluted, and sprayed to a point of soaking on whatever it is that needs to be oppositted.

also: don't worry too much about style, just tell stories. style eventually develops itself. and part of the joy of reading comics is getting to see the artist's style develop over the years. :)

oh, and, hi. :)

Riot said...

Oh, hi!
I will totally try the tea tree oil. Honey Wheat, the newest Roarphan, has taken to identify piles of clothes a great places to pee, so now my hamper is pretty gross. Lesson learned.

I totally know what you mean about letting style develop, I'm sure I'll find my stride. Right now I guess I'm just trying to find a level of detail that I'd be comfortable repeating a zillion times.

Anonymous said...

my partner is using citronella right now. it works pretty well.