Saturday, November 6, 2010

smoky bacon fume

Ok, so I don't normally write about food because I find it triggering and stupid, but HOLY SHIT, I just made coconut bacon!
Bacon! Out of coconut!
I've had it before, from a restaurant in Montreal called Au Vivre, and it was super fucking delicious. Today I discovered that I have access to pretty much all the unsweetened coconut in the world, so I figured it was about time to give it a go.
I threw in a bunch of smoked paprika, salt, liquid smoke, and oil, and then toasted it in a frying pan until it was browned, and now I'm eating it on a sandwich with red onion, avocado, soynaise, and jalapeƱo* havarti.
Eating the best sandwich, listening to some of my favorite people have band practice in the next room, being done work for the day at 3pm.
Feeling pretty good!

*My spell check corrected "jalapeno" to include the squiggly** thing! Neat!

**Apparently "squiggly" is a real word, according to the same spell check!

3 comments:

Adam Matlock said...

plz do share the recipe so I can do my part to destroy the fake-bacon market here in ct. if you please.

Riot said...

I think I included the recipe in the post? I really didn't measure anything, just tossed some unsweetened coconut with liquid smoke, smoked paprika(enough to turn it pinkish-orange), salt, and oil.
I also put oil in the pan I fried it in, so it was pretty greasy, much like it's piggly counterpart.

Uhtceara said...

oh wait you made the bacon OUT OF coconut!

the whole time you were talking to me about it, i thought you just made bacon with coconut.

huh.