Monday, November 15, 2010

Field Trip

Well, I quit the Indian take-out job. It wasn't a bad job, it was just boring as hell. Also, I definitely can't swing the whole two jobs at once thing, and the second job I got is SO. MUCH. COOLER.
Not only do I get to wear a sweet black chef's jacket (I'm sure many people would not deem this a perk, but it makes me look so bad ass, especially paired with the dread-mullet-hawk), but the staff is amazing (the servers are hilarious and brilliant, the chef is a rad young lady, and the whole place is owned by a really inspiring older queer woman), the food is great, and we get to go on FIELD TRIPS!
Apparently this happens once a month, so for our November trip we went down to Lunenburg county to meet some folks who have a certified organic vineyard, and are going to be supplying the restaurant with organic garlic.
LOCAL ORGANIC GARLIC CAN YOU TELL THAT I AM EXCITED!
The farm wasn't overly impressive since it's, like, winter, but the couple was incredibly friendly and really excited to meet us and tell us everything about their operation. Apparently their grapes are sold to L'Acadie winery and they get turned into $40 bottles of brut. Fancy!

Grape vines, sadly bare. They told us grapes prefer south-facing slopes.

They're going to turn that shed into a sugar shack!
Organic wine, maple syrup, and garlic. everything a person needs.


Spooky old barn, with spooky old tools.


Spooky fuckin' chain collection.


Spooky carriage!

I managed to snag a bulb of the garlic and cooked with it when I got home, it was so amazing. I'm going to use one or two more cloves (probably just to eat raw since I'm definitely getting a cough) and then I'm going to plant the rest. Someone told me that garlic takes 2 years to mature, but apparently that isn't the case? Whatever! If I get one plant, I'll be very excited.

No comments: