Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Woah, I have had such a productive day that I don't know what to do with the rest of my week.

I got up and went to work this morning, and even though I was only there fro 9:30 - noon, I got some shit done and made some money and it was a way to get me out of bed before 11.

Once I got off work I went to the post office and mailed a couple of things that I've been procrastinating on. It makes such a huge difference that there's a new employee at the post office, the guy that used to work there was a complete asshole. Who knew that little things like post office employees would make such a huge difference?

Once I got home I finished up both posters that I've been working on; one for a film screening and dinner that Molly and I are putting on (a fundraiser for Food Not Bombs' new community garden plot) and the other for the Harbour Water Fest 2 workshops. I'll probably scan them later so that everyone in the country will wind up flocking to Halifax to learn how to pick locks and become self-employed!

While I was waiting for Anchor Archive to open so I could use their photocopier I ran to Quinpool and rented the movie that we're screening next week, picked up a phone card, and bought some wort so that we'll have beer for Harbour Water!

Then I went to Anchor Archive and printed off a bajillion posters whilst ignoring the dudes volunteering there. Of course it would turn out that both volunteers were people that make me extreeemely uncomfortable.

Right after that I went to Bike Again to see if I could finally get a bike that suits me/fits me. Since my bike got stolen last summer I've tried a couple different bikes, but the first one was a piece of shit and only 3 speeds, and the second one was way too small and had shitty handle bars. I worked for close to an hour on a shiny black road bike (an All Pro? I've never heard of them before. Google says they're shitty k-mart bikes from the 70's. oh well!). I always get super self-conscious before I go to Bike Again and I'm always worried that I'm going to need to ask people for help and get all embarrassed, but whenever I actually find a bike and start to work on it I'm usually pretty comfortable. Tonight I was able to raise the seat, adjust the handlebars, and trim the gear cables and casings (for some reason they were outrageously long and hanging off the bike). Next time I go, all I'll really have to do is see if the tires hold air and maybe adjust the back brakes and rear derailleur. If I keep on this ultra productive roll, then I'll be able to finish the bike by Friday and attend my first Critical Mass of the year. Fingers crossed.

I feel good about the things I did today. I'm self conscious about my bike mechanic knowledge, my photocopier capabilities, and my brewing abilities, but I just fucking went for it. Even though an obnoxious dude had to get the paper to stop jamming in the People's Photocopier, things went pretty smoothly. I also don't usually like going places alone, but I really wasn't up to hanging out with anyone today so I bit the bullet. 

Go team getting shit done!

No comments: