Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bonnie

Some evening last week I was walking home along Gottingen street.
For those not familiar with the area, there's an abandoned department store on the block nearest my street. It's been boarded up for as long as I can remember, and is usually covered in posters and graffiti. Recently they've started cleaning it out so they can tear it down to build housing (they claim 50% is going to be reserved for "affordable housing", but I'll believe that when I see it).
Anyway, my eye was caught by a poster on a phone pole as I was walking past the building. While I was reading the poster, I noticed one of the "doors" (really just a giant slab of plywood) shift, and a woman emerged. I watched her out of the corner of my eye. She was white, probably in her late 30's, and had a travel mug and was wearing a lanyard with an id tag around her neck. I guess you could say she looked pretty normal. Except that in addition to her travel mug, she also had a can of spray paint in her hand.
Trying not to stare, I watched her slide the plywood closed again, saunter over a couple of feet, and paint something on the building. She then capped her can, and walked past me down the street.
A couple days later, I went back to see what it was that she had painted.

Fuck yes.

No comments: